Author School Visit - Jennifer Nielsen
Jennifer A. Nielsen will visit Fossil Ridge Intermediate School on Wednesday, November 29th to read and talk about her books, and her life as a writer. NOTE: This event is for Fossil Ridge students and staff only.
Students and staff can order copies of her books through The Book Bungalow! Orders must be placed by 5 pm on November 14th. Students will receive their books prior to the event and Jennifer will sign them at the end of her presentations that day. After you read the descriptions of each book that will be available, please scroll down to click on the links at the bottom to order the ones you want.
Hazel Rothbury is traveling all alone from her home in England aboard the celebrated ship Titanic. Following the untimely death of her father, Hazel's mother is sending her to the US to work in a factory, so that she might send money back home to help her family make ends meet.
But Hazel harbors a secret dream: She wants to be a journalist, and she just knows that if she can write and sell a story about the Titanic's maiden voyage, she could earn enough money to support her family and not have to go to a sweatshop. When Hazel discovers that mother didn't send her with enough money for a ticket, she decides she must stow away onboard the storied ship.
With the help of a porter named Charlie and a sweet first-class passenger named Sylvia, Hazel explores the opulent ship in secret, but a haunting mystery quickly finds her. The danger only intensifies when calamity strikes, and readers will be caught up in the terror and suspense alongside Hazel as she fights to save her friends and herself.
World War I stretches its cruel fingers across Europe, where five young people, each from different backgrounds and nations, face the terror of battle, the deprivations of hunger, and all the awful challenges of war.
Felix, from Austria-Hungary, longs for the bravery to resist Jewish deportations before his own family can be taken.
Kara, from Britain, dreams of someday earning her Red Cross pin and working as a nurse -- or even a doctor.
Juliette, of France, hopes her family can remain knitted together, despite her father's imprisonment, as the war's longest battle stretches on and on.
Elsa, from Germany, hopes her homing pigeon might one day bring her a friend from out of the chaos.
And Dimitri, of Russia, wants only to survive the front, where he's been sent with no weapon.
None of them will find exactly what they want. But the winds of fate may cross their paths to give each of them just what they need. And in this remarkable exploration of World War I by critically acclaimed author Jennifer A. Nielsen, they will discover that friendship and courage can light the way through the most frightening of nights.
Kestra Dallisor has spent three years in exile in the Lava Fields, but that won't stop her from being drawn back into her father's palace politics. He's second-in-command to the cruel king, Lord Endrick, which makes Kestra a valuable bargaining chip. A group of rebels knows this -- and they snatch Kestra from her carriage as she reluctantly travels home.The kidnappers want her to retrieve the lost Olden Blade, the only object that can destroy the king, but Kestra is not the obedient captive they expected. One of the rebels, Simon, has his hands full as Kestra tries to foil their plot, by any means necessary. As motives shift and secrets emerge, both have to decide what -- and who -- it is they're fighting for.
In a discontented kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.
As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together. Read the multi-award-winning book - first in her Ascendence series - that started it all and put her on the New York Times bestsellers list!
IMPORTANT SHOPPING GUIDELINES:
1) The online ordering option for author signing and school pickup is open through November 14th! Online orders placed after 5 pm on November 14th cannot be picked up at the school; such orders will be treated as regular store orders and can be picked up in the store or shipped directly to your home.
2) At checkout in the Calculate Shipping Cost tab please select "Media Mail" as your shipping option. We will edit out that shipping charge before accepting payment through your credit card. You do not need to pay for shipping; the books will be delivered to the school free of charge if you order by 5 pm on November 14th. Orders MUST be paid for online in order to be fulfilled.
3) At checkout, you MUST note "Jennifer Nielsen--Fossil Ridge" in the Order Comments to make sure your order is processed correctly. Please also note the name of your student, the name of your student's Language Arts teacher, and any personalization request so Jennifer will sign it the way your student wants (i.e. "to Mary", "Happy Birthday George", etc.).
4) Only the titles listed below are eligible for pickup at the author visit. Orders for other titles can be processed for store pickup or shipping but cannot be picked up at the school.
5) If you have any questions, call (435) 619-8200 and ask for Tanya.